Post Labels

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hands, prints, radios and labs. Amazing links on color.


Yup, those are the mantis shrimp's real, natural colors.

I have something very special for you today. The first of these two links is Handprint, a site with a wealth of in-depth information on both the scientific and artistic sides of colors. It is a really fascinating and helpful site. It was neat to me not just in hobby terms, but also because color filters for flat panel displays are one my company's main products. There is an unbelievable amount of content on the site and I still have yet to read it all. It may be of value to just skip around to areas of interest. You can find the color and color theory sections through the two top right links on his home page.

The second of these is, if you don't know already, from the best podcast there has ever been. No, really. Radiolab is produced by WNYC and the quality of the research, stories, interviews, editing--all of it is top notch. All the time. And there is no boring episode either, despite the variety in the topics. Episodes range from fascinating to hilarious, to awe-inspiring to heart-wrenching, sometimes within the same episode. I'd describe this one on colors with the first three. It's even a topic that I have read a lot about, but when they say something I already know (on any topic) I am always sure it will lead into something I don't. Or at the least that the way they talk about it will be interesting in it's own right.

Whether these links are of practical use or not, I expect them to be entertaining. Enjoy.


Handprint

Radiolab - May 21, 2012 - Season 10, Ep 13: Colors

And just because, here&s a funny comic about the mantis shrimp they talk about. At the bottom there are a few videos I highly recommend.

"Why the mantis shrimp is my new favorite animal"

No comments:

Post a Comment