Post Labels

Monday, May 27, 2013

Eldar Rumors 2013.5.27: Wargear; An Aside about Fire Dragons



Someone on the Warseer forum threw around the rules of the Remnant of Glory:

- Mantle of the laughing god: hit and run, shrouded, stealth, reroll cover saves but you lose the IC rule (doesn't replace one of your weapons)
- Shard of Anaris: +2Str melee and rending melee weapon, in challenges you have flesh bane and instant death.
- Firesabre: +1Str, AP3 and soul blaze
- Faolchi wings: can run up to 48" in the shooting phase. But can't shoot charge or cast psychic powers, reroll all cover saves.
- Spirit stone: You give up your invun save until next turn so that you can reduce the charge cost of a power by 1 to a minimum of 1 (Farseer/spiritseer only, doesn't replace one of your weapons)
- Rifle: 120" standard sniper rifle, AP3.
- Phoenix gem. Before wearer dies roll a d6, on a 1 nothing happens but 2-6 a large blast is placed on the model, friend and foe suffer Str4 AP5 hits, if no one dies the wearer removed but if only 1 model dies the wearer gets back up with 1 wound. (One use only, doesn't replace one of your weapons)


That and wraithguard lose wraithsight apparently.

 There is a lot of really cool stuff in there. Notable to me is the sniper rifle at 120" range and AP3 base. I really hope that's true because I have a good number of Rangers and I have some more on the way. Something I'd like to try out is a mix of Rangers and Wraith units. Mostly as a fun army as it seems right now I'll have issues with mobile armies and deep striking flamers, but I think it could be a good time.

This is totally unrelated, but I saw that people are actually upset/surprised about Fire Dragons getting a point cost hike.  They even felt that FDs were a bad choice before. And furthermore that it was a waste of so many points because they need a transport to get their job done. Does it not occur to them that the transport is not dead weight and provides useful dakka? Or that Fire Dragons have a great stat line and amazing wargear for very few points? I think they are the most undercosted unit in the 4th ed codex. Dragons going up makes sense because they cost too little and can achieve great things. Them getting heavier armor makes sense because their targets regularly explode in their faces and you'd think they'd prepare for that. I'm actually pumped about having Fire Dragons I can treat as more than a suicide unit. With support, they may actually fire more than once. 3+ armor is nothing to laugh at when the guy in it is packing a melta gun and melta bombs.

Fire Dragons are unbelievably good as they are, but it seems that with these changes they might actually become a unit players take seriously and don't just throw away. Is anyone else with me on that?

6 comments:

  1. I'm fine with the price hike on FDs. They were definitely undercosted in the previous codex considering how efficient they were. Now with better armor, fleet and the battle trance thing, they'll be even better at their job, so a point cost increase is fair imo.

    As for the artifacts, they look interesting but I'm curious to see who can take which ones. They all look kinda tailored to a specific aspect, so maybe exarch upgrades?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there are other ways to destroy AV14 in the army Fire Dragons might be freed up to lay waste to elite infantry and squadrons. In roles like that you'd actually benefit from having large squads.

    That would be cool. I hope they're not something only one guy in any given army will have. I'd like to feel like there is a good number of artifacts in use by the craftworlds due to their age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree the points hike is a needed thing, they were too good for the old points cost. I also feel that they did also need the 3+ save. before you either died to the exploding vehicle which was almost a given or you died to fire from your opponents army not wanting to deal with the possibility of a second dead vehicle. I think most of the people that are griping about the wave serpent forgot that yeah it has its own dakka that you get with a plethora of weapons options and the dragons can use it to hide behind before and or after the vehicle explosion (even more so now with the battle trance.) personally I am very on board with this change and think it fits the fluff too.

      as far as the gear, most of that gear sounds more like gear for special characters. that's one thing that the eldar have always been very very lacking on is most books have 2-6 special characters yet eldar have eldard and one other random dude. so I could see all that gear being allocated to specific special characters in the army to buff up the number of them. although it would be nice to see for once if it wasnt maybe we could make our HQs just as good if not better then the GW special characters for once.

      Delete
  3. Yeah they might be taken with anti-elite infantry in mind, but if other units (banshees or reapers for example) do it better or cheaper, it might not be seen too often.
    There's just too many unknowns at this point though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of this is looking to good for you bro...... so I am going to call an exterminatus on your codex before it gets to your house. I do this out of love of our friendship! you will thank me later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Far too many unknowns! I run my mouth too much too lol. I just gotta sit on my hands and make it to Saturday. I can't believe it's only Tuesday haha. This is the longest week ever. I think I'm way more excited for this release than I was even for 6th edition

    ReplyDelete