Post Labels

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Eldar Rumors: A Double Take at those Prices



I posted these prices yesterday at the tail end of my break. I was rushing to put it up at the time so I couldn't really say anything about them. Let me repost them below and then comment afterward.

Oliver Beinlich May 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Eldar Codex - $49.50
Eldar LE Codex - $100
WH40K PSYCHIC POWERS: ELDAR ENG - $7.50
Farseer - $20
Wraithknight - $115
Wraithguard - $50
Hemlock Wraithfighter - $65
Dire Avengers (5 pack) - $35
Battleforce - $115
Windrider Jetbike Squadron - $40
Spiritseer - $19.25
Illic Nightspear - $19.25
IYANDEN: A CODEX ELDAR SUPPLEMENT - $49.50
IYANDEN CODEX SUPPLEMENT SPECIAL EDITION - $85

Let's assume for one terrifying second that these figures are accurate. Now hold your ears as I shout THAT'S F&$#ING BANANAS! Limited Edition codex for $100? Full codex price for the Iyanden supplement? Wraithknight for an unbelievable $115? I never imagined! My friend told me I was crazy for calling the Wraithknight a $95 kit. I must be crazy for thinking nothing in the GW range ought to cost that much!

And could someone explain to me what the limited edition codex could have in it that makes it twice as expensive? I don't know if it is just the book itself or if there is any kind of bonus material--art, a code for the digital download, gold f%&$ing nuggets perhaps?

The Battleforce goes up $25. The Dire Avengers box is cut in half , essentially doubling the cost of the unit. The Wraithguard actually got cheaper and so did the Jetbikes if those figures are right. And assuming 5 Wraithguard and 3 Jetbikes in their respective boxes. But then it also depends on how points change, doesn't it? Right now you'd be hard pressed to put more than ten WG in a list. I'll bet that with the Iyanden supplement and the dual kit with the CC variant, it will be possible to field at least another $100 worth of them.

I was just saying on the Facebook page I need to post about beer and sandwiches sometime this week because I haven't had much positive to say at all. There is plenty to say that's good about the Eldar release. I'm ecstatic about that sniper character that popped up in these release lists. I'm just getting caught up in what I think ought to be the standard reaction. I hope it is and I just don't know. The only way GW will stop bleeding us dry is if we stop walking into their knife. When it affects sales is when they'll stop raising prices with each release. For my part, I'm not going to go nearly as overboard as I wanted to. I've been saving a long time for this, but I just can't fork over all that cash in good conscience. I'll make a few reasonable purchases in addition to the codex. I'm sure I'd spend a lot more if each individual purchase were cheaper, though.

Anyway, I'll have to post about something positive another time, it seems. For now I'll leave off with Duvel and pastrami on rye. Absolutely delicious.

6 comments:

  1. man, I have to agree. I was assuming the wraithknight would be expensive, but I was thinking like 60-70$ not 115... completely outragous pricing for that much I should get a model that auto wins the game.... but then if games workshop goes to the free to play video game model that is pay to win then I dont know if I really want to actually play 40k anymore.
    honestly I love the eldar, I was planning on getting the collectors edtion codex. but for 100 bucks thats a bit high for something that is just a slightly nicer version of the regular codex that I dont want to use since its limited edition and I end up buying either a ditigal copy of the regular codex or a second standard edition codex to use regularly.
    I hope the jet bikes actually come out, that would be a huge disappointment I have hated the jet bikes since 3rd edition when I started playing and never used them cause they were so ugly and have waited buying DE jet bikes to convert them to eldar jetbikes... only cause I wanted to see the new jetbikes....

    just some of my own thoughts... oh and turkey with bacon on wheat.... delicious also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want the game balance that heavily influenced by the price of models either. I don't think it will be, though. I expect the Wraithknight to be good, but nothing unstoppable if the list opposing it has as much heavy firepower as it already should.

      I'd like to get a special version of the codex too. But when a friend brought over the collector's edition of the BYB, I kinda felt bad for him. He got exactly the same material as me, but it was twice as thick and twice as heavy. I travel four hours by train to Tokyo to get my games in most of the time and I just can't fit a bigger book in my bag. And more luggage isn't a good option either since I'm using crowded public transportation. So yeah, models 9" tall and books twice as thick are a no-go for me even if they don't cost over $100.

      After seeing the WD photos I'm very much doubting we're getting new Jetbikes. That's very disappointing. I was prepared to get 3+ medium-sized units of the things. I do have some Dark Eldar bikes I converted with DA, Guardian and Shining Spears parts to make my Spears' unit. I think they convert up nicely if you're keen to go that route, assuming we really don't get bikes.

      Thanks for your excellent comments =) Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Yeah I will probably go that route if we don't get new bikes. I don't mind it and it actually kinda fits with my theme, as I have converted dark eldar witches as my storm squad. just would have been nice to have the option of actual eldar stuff I really liked the proto type bike they showed years ago before the DE release.
      I also didn't think of that but a 9' tall unit is going to be a bitch to tote back and forth to the game store... hell even my wraithlord is tough to get there and its not that big. makes you wonder how many people will not buy it from a pricing standpoint and how many will not buy it from a logistical standpoint.
      also thanks for mentioning about the collectors edition codex pretty much sold me on not spending double the money on it... just not worth it for a bunch of nothing.

      oh and since your in Tokyo Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

      Delete
    3. At least repackaged bikes might make bits orders easier if you want the hoods for the DE bikes. And yeah same here with the WL. I hate transporting mine. Same with my War Walkers.

      Oh and onegaishimasu =)

      Delete
  2. i say it with a song Mucky pup - PTL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Ba_AUmuYc

    ReplyDelete